Finnish Style Coach Maria N. has been styling selected Eco Furs pieces for day and night since the end of May 2012. For our clients' inspiration she puts together complete looks from clothing and hairstyle to nail varnish. See the earlier looks here.
Maria N. has gained lots of fashion experience throughout past decade. She's worked as a Senior Fashion Sales Consultant and a Store Manager for Finnish and global ladies wear & accessories retailers. She also has a Specialist Degree in Image & Style Consulting. She runs her own style coaching business in Porvoo and Helsinki in Finland.
Maria N. shares style tips for Ladies & Gentlemen on her own blog Lovely Ladies & Charming Men by Maria N.
Below she reveals some style secrets of her own:
1) Dresses and jewellery play the main role in my style, which also varies lots according to weather. Whole look is very important. Great outfit can be ruined easily by bad hair. Some days I choose very simple looks for myself, sometimes I layer everything on everything - animal prints, exotic jewellery & exotic prints, short modern and 60's inspired dresses. Strong clothes and lines are my thing but nothing too cute. For colors black & gold combos have been the base for my wardrobe for many years.
2) My style icons are people with strong own style. Grown up women like Greta Garbo whose style is strongly cool and distant. Daphne Guinness with her fabulous collection of couture clothes that she isn’t afraid to use - among others she bought the contents of Isabella Blow’s wardrobe. Grace Kelly with her graceful style. Luxuriously bohem Rachel Zoe who respects everything old, not forgetting the most feminine Marilyn Monroe.
3) My favorite designers & labels depend on seasons – fashion and weather. I follow and look forward to seeing all new collections of Marc Jacobs, also By Malene Birger, Prada, Gucci and Diane Von Furstenberg. Especially I like DVF’s colors and easy, functional designs. I like Alexander McQueen’s fantasy world, Holly Fulton’s strong style and everything Christopher Bailey has designed for Burberry Prosum throughout last few years. Mary Katranzou’s different prints also take my fancy.
4) My favorite fashion decade - the 30’s strongly feminine & sensual style and Hollywood glamor. In 20’s the liberation of women, cheerfulness and playfulness of clothing have an impact on me.
5) Porvoo is a great city to find interesting and unique fashion in stores such as Cisar, Doris & Duke and Istra just to name a few. I’ve also found some really interesting pieces from an antique shop! I love mixing old and new items. I shop affordable fashion. Mango is my favorite for both clothes and jewelry, also Zara.
6) Most treasured items in my wardrobe are 30's-inspired flapper/ Hollywood glamor vintage dress for my 30th birthday party, Vagabond Zebra ballerinas, 60`s green vintage dress, By Malene Birger leather bag with golden zippers which was a gift from my husband, I use it almost every day.
7) What inspires me? Dressing people, seeing people finding their style and feeling strong that way, finding new self-confidence, daring to try something new (even if it wouldn’t fit them. You should always try on new styles just to see how they work on you, it´s the key for finding styles that suit you). Also people with strong, fearless styles and who are not afraid to express themselves through clothes inspire me. People who have well developed style. Old style icons and their style development. Also Yves Saint Laurent, a first-time retrospective of the French fashion designer's work at the Petit Palais exhibition that I was lucky to see in Paris a few years ago still pops up to my head every now and then. They were so beautiful clothes and seeing them in person makes such a big difference from seeing just images of them! And the fashion publications and runway looks that I try to see as soon as images are published. Not forgetting Tom Ford as a person and his SS2011 collection. The intimate atmosphere of the show was an appraisal to femininity. All models were dressed in unbelievably fabulous creations designed just for them and they seemed to enjoy themselves visibly in them. Background music, Karen Elson’s Pretty Babies added the finishing touch. – I wish I was one of those women or at least would have seen this particular show! I’m always keeping my eyes open for new things – lots of it! TV-series such as Hercule Poirot, Elliot sisters, The Forsyte saga and Downton Abbey. For these inspirations I have to thank a friend who always knows what TV-series I would like and makes me sit down & watch them. I’m a bit lazy finding them myself, but still they can make a really strong impact on me.